Monday, April 12, 2010

What are you willing to do?

Imagine a situation in which a man, a speaker, talks infront of an audience, asking them questions. Imagine yourself in that audience. And now imagine him adressing you, infront of everybody.


He asks you how much money you earn a year. You are hesitant to answer. He offers you $200. You answer.
He asks you if you wear clean underwear. You might not want to answer this. But if he offers you $300, will you answer then?

Now he offers to double your anual salary, for one year, if you undress yourself infront of everybody in the room. Now some of you might jump to the oportunity. But bear with me and imagine yourself declining the offer. Now imagine him increasing his offer to be triple your anual salary. It's getting interesting, don't you agree? If you have a partner with you in the room you might find yourself looking at them with the words "should I?" written all over your face. But imagine that you would stand strong and refuse again. The speaker gives you one final offer - triple salary for the rest of your life - that would pretty much make you a millionaire.

Most of us would've gone for it by now, I believe. But if the person in question happens to be religious, she/he might still refuse. At that point the man will stop asking you. But what might happen is, he might address your partner.
He might ask your partner, if "they would". The partner would wonder, what it is that is asked of him/her. The man clarifies: if they would take your clothes of - you being the one who just refused to do it yourself. Depending on the level of financial frustration brooding inside of your partner, he/she might just be willing to do it - After all, we might be talking several million dollars.

The scene that might follow, could look like this:

the partner might glance at you at first, checking how mad you would be at him/her if they did it. Seeing as you completely refused to do it yourself, there is no reason to believe that you would be okay with your partner doing it for you. And your partner knows that. But he/she wants the money so bad, they start undressing you. You try to fight him/her off, and when your partner realizes he can't do it alone, he shouts into the crowd: "$100 for everyone that helps me hold her down!". And suddenly a wave of people errupts, everyone fighting to get to the woman struggling with more and more hands touching her, pushing her to the ground.

In the end I am sure the partner would have succeeded in undressing you. He/she might even receive the money, depending on the level of legitimacy of the speaker. But what about your marriage/relationship? Is it going to survive this act of pure egoism? Or was it egoism, really? Since your partner was looking out for the financial well-being of both of you. Was your partnership healthy, to begin with? Of would anyone in their right mind have done this?

This is extreme. This is more than extreme - it's barbaric. But don't you agree that this is more than possible? That people, even those that are in a loving, commited relationship, are willing to do this to their partner for this kind of money?
This shocks me. And if you agree with me, I'm sure you are just as shocked as I am.

6 comments:

  1. I would undress you anytime for free! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting question, no doubt.

    Frankly speaking, I do not think this would happen between two people who have are having a succesful relationship and are healthy on a mental level. I do not also believe that after such an event financial problems would be the largest difficulties their relationship would be facing from that moment onwards.

    However, I can imagine this happening if a person is either a) in a complex position economically, or b) the person's relationship with his partner is not a succesful one; in this case a dilemma in one's economy doesn't even need to exist.

    In my opinion, such a brutal action might be something which can tear a relationship asunder.

    I musn't me gullible though; relations are most likely being broken all the time, be it a relation with close friends or a more intimate one, with money being the provoker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some grammatical corrections to my previous comment (and a typo). "Such a brutal action might be something that can tear..."
    "I musn't be gullibe..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone has his price. For some there are various amounts of money. For others, its maybe a fulfilled life. But it isnt a least bit shocking. You just shouldn't forget...

    Greetings,
    Golch

    ReplyDelete
  5. to Golch:

    Not shocking? Wow, sounds like you've seen some tough stuff not to be shocked by this. I mean, have you no faith in the good in people? I just think that there should be a limit - especially if it concerns the well-being of someone else. If this would simply test how far the individual would go concerning their own body/mind I wouldn't mind it (I actually like the show "I bet you will") But, as I said earlier, as soon as you start messing with other people - well thats just repulsing. And shocking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest, this didn't that much shock me, but made me think "what if..." and what would I do in that situation, and how much money I would need to do that, or would I? (I'm not going to give you the answers here xD)

    Anyways, greatly wroten and I cannot wait to read more your thoughts :)

    -Jussi

    ReplyDelete