Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Breakfast in the car, having the cold and much more

Hello everybody!
So nice to be writing again, been some days.


Ever since I got the camera I have been taking pictures non-stop. I would sit at the pc and take 120 pictures of my hair brush, just to figure out the right settings and exposure for the current circumstances. And in focusing so much on photography, my father and I have come to talk almost every day. Feels really great, especially since Mom and Petra have recently been cut off the internet and aren't able to come online. Ever since then my days were lacking that little piece of home that a daily conversation with them brought me. Now, through the talks with dad I am getting just that: A piece of home and a lot of affection. Plus I learn a lot about taking great pictures!

Yesterday I came down with a cold. Nothing serious, just annoying. Can't go to the gym, can't go out to take pictures. But I got some work done with CardCoaches, a company that is on it's way to creating a very sought after and thus successful homepage. The general idea is to teach - through hundrets of articles, vidoes, interactive flash-applications and actual games - the art of playing poker. I'm their "design-handy-man", which means, that I do every work that comes my way, as long as it in some way or another has to do with design. I've got really lucky though, seeing as the project leader of CardCoaches - in other words my boss - is really nice. I have a great time working with him. Just yesterday I came up with an idea to improve the experience that a newly-registered member would have on their future homepage: buttons that show him the way to certain places within the homepage that are otherwise a little harder to find (which disappear as soon as the member reached a certain stage). Instead of dismissing it, since it comes from a student who is a part-time wanna-be designer, he went ahead and made a note of it - even telling his partner about it. Made me feel very included in the whole project, which I am sure you don't feel very often when you are in my position.

We went shopping yesterday. As soon as we were done and reached our homely parking lot, a sudden rush of fatigue came over us both. We reached down, next to our seats, and pulled that lever that controls the angle at which the backrest is positioned. So while we were half sitting, half lying in the car, we figured: why not have breakfast in the car! So we took out the rolls that we just bought, used our fingers to pry them open and then... well then we wanted to put on cream cheese and ham. But it was too exhausting and too crammed, so I had an idea. I wanted to tell you guys about the breakfast in the car, and I wanted it not to be a lie, so I decided I would eat bread with cream cheese and ham on top, except I would leave them packaged while holding them atop the bread, biting into it. Kinda wacky, I know. But it was fun! And I almost went for it too, writing here that I did, in fact, eat bread with cream cheese and ham on top. Bending the truth to your will can be a lot of fun :) I guess I've been watching too much survivor recently O.o

Some weeks ago I started getting obsessed with the idea of knitting. I don't really know how it started, but I just wanted to have some nice caps. I guess I saw so many creative ones in "Life Unexpected" that I just was like a little child - you see something -> you want it! As you can see on the picture, my first try was.. well - a lot of work, but poor at that. The colors don't look sophisticated together and the whole thing just has the wrong shape. It's way too wide around the forehead. Instead of giving up, though, I looked up a sort of cap-knitting recipe and, as you can see on the lower picture, It payed off! I think it looks preeeeetty damn nice for a second try.

Well, well. I got to go to school now. Today is an important day, and sick or not sick, I really feel like I got to go there. I just hope that what I have isn't catching.


6 comments:

  1. That sounds almost like the East Frisians drink their 'Grog': A glass of hot sugar water between thumb and pointing finger and a shot-glass of Rum between middle finger and pointing finger . . . all you need now lifting it simultaneously and pour it 'together' down your throat.

    I never figured out why they don't pour the Rum into the sugar water in the first place, you at least gave us an explanation on your roll, ham n’ cream cheese adventure.

    . . . But well, they are "East Frisians" (a German-Dutch-Danish wild tribe living on trees).

    ReplyDelete
  2. From America! I remember having an "itch" to learn to knit at about this age;..."knit one, pearl two" round and round until I had created a head band. I made a couple of scarves as well, and that was it!!I am a better crocheter as I learned how as a child so it came easily!!Really enjoy reading and seeing your beautiful foto-werks!! Very heartening indeed!! Cheers and Hugs! =+)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do the East Frisians hav deep ditches right and left of their trails?

    - Dunno !


    That their arms don't grind on the ground. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally checked out your blog! I miss my knitted hat, had it for like 4 years and gave rise to my first nickname 'Teacosyhead'. Not sure if I ever told you the story about that one. It went missing though and after that I've never really worn any hats at all, my heads just way too massive >.> and they never felt the same, i loved that hat. Although i picked up a woven wide brim in Belize to save me from getting too sunburnt (still went as red as a beat), but it died today aswell, too much hard travelling and swimming with it on and stuff, it basically melted.

    I didnt have breakfast today, i was stuck on a bus, but now that ive arrived in Santiago Attitla (i think thats how you spell it) we were fed by our hostess, who seems nice, although im too tired to make much conversation. Roll on country number three!

    Congratulations with the advice-success at work! Keep it up, god knows no one ever listens to my ideas, so im glad someone out there is listening to yours. Adios for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chris,

    Im following all your facebook posts and wanting to know more all the time. Been thinking about you more and more these last few days and how your life is going for you.

    Maybe we should skype some time - then you can tell me more about that hat of yours :)

    ReplyDelete